Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Blogging scares the crap out of me



Okay I'll let you in on a secret - blogging scares the crap out of me.


I've been blogging for over 3 years now.  I started my first blog - C Percy Designs - after reading about how handy they are for your business within the DUST forum.  I then took over the reigns at the Handmade Cooperative in early 2011 and as you know, this year I took over the running of this thought provoking blog.  

Thats right I have 3 blogs, I post on average 3 to 5 times a week and they all scare me.

Why?


… because I'm a terrible speller and my grammar sucks.  

As a child I was diagnosed with a Auditory Processing Disorder and I was always well behind the reading level of my peers.  After a few years of private tuition I was able to catch up but there are still gaps.  I remember one lovely Special Ed teacher who told my Mum that I was working my hardest and to lower her expectations as she believed I wouldn't sit the HSC and it would be best for me to focus on getting into a trade.

I wonder if this teacher was simply projecting her own fears onto me. I did complete the HSC (with a good mark I should add) and I went onto further education which includes TAFE, the Mountbatten Internship Programme in New York and the completion of a Bachelor of Business. Even thought I have proven this teacher wrong many times, I still have the Thought Gremlins running though my mind telling me I shouldn't be doing this, that I can't do this, that I'm making a fool of myself.

I must admit what takes most people a few minutes to write, takes me 3-4 drafts.  I worry about blog posts - "Does it sound right?",  "Is that the correct spelling?",  "I wonder if they'll understand what I mean?", "do I sound stupid" etc. 

So why do I blog?  Why do I torture myself?


Good question.  I guess its because I like to challenge myself.  I like to face my fears.


I've been challenging myself all my life.  Facing my fears has always made me stronger and allowed me to dream big.  I'm not saying its been easy because that would be a lie, but conquering my fears has made me the strong person I am today.



So is your fear of blogging holding you back? 



About the Contributor: 
Christine is a Wife and a Mum of 3.  She is the owner of C Percy Designs and the Editor of The Contemporary Handmade Alliance.  She is also the Editor of the Handmade Cooperative - Australian Handmade 4 Kids and is a little obsessed with all things crochet. 

To find out more about Christine go to her blog or follow her on Facebook.

3 comments:

  1. I find blogging challenging and sometimes intimidating - depending on my mood and fluctuating confidence! Totaly relate to your "do I feel stupid" self talk. Hooray for comments which help make it enjoyable. I did blogtoberfest last year to try and cure my fears and it really helped! I'm going to do it again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, what a brave an honest post!
    I also suck as spelling - and while I did well at school I am dyslexic (and why they make that word so hard to spell I will never understand) and so spelling and grammar just baffles me - and I can't make my brain remember much of it.
    But I do not want to be judged by people on the basis of my spelling because I still believe I have a valuable message.
    I Got myself a proof reader! It was the most exciting and liberating thing I could do for my business!!
    I get to write my thoughts and ideas and dreams, uninhibited and then someone else double checks the spelling for me.
    Like you blogging used to scare the shit out of me - it doesn't so much now - so I am challenging myself again, pushing myself harder and hoping to write a book and have it published!
    Thank you again - great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you lovely ladies for your comments. I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy! Christine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on the {CHA}