Friday, June 1, 2012

Ch ch changes ... Facebook is at it again!


Its happend yet again! Only a few months ago the Facebook business community was getting their knickers in a twist about Timeline and now its the 'Promote' feature.  

Ali from Cheeky Pickle summed up how I feel about this beautifully:


I know one business owner who had decreed that from now on if a business they Like does a 'Please Like my page' plead she will unlike them.  I totally understand where she is coming from, every second fan page seems to be doing it and its such a turn off!

Personally I don't rely solely on Facebook to promote my business and I don't pay much attention to how many Likes I have because I don't think it's all that important.  What I think is important is that I engage with those people who interact with my fan page and that I reach potential buyers through other avenues such as blog advertising, adshares in print media (via the Handmade Cooperative), participating in magazine call outs, promoting my business through giveaways on strategically selected blogs, being an active member on a few forums etc.

Yesterday I thought I would use the 'Promote' feature to see how many people I would reach using it. 



When I did a normal status update on Wednesday about a giveaway I was doing on {KID} Independent I reached 231 people.  Then on Thursday I wrote a similar status update but this time I used the 'Promote' feature.  This second post reached 271 people, a 3% increase.  

Now before you start spending your money I want you to look at the stats in the blue box. 

Without using the promote feature, offering a freebie or tagging another business I managed to reach 351 people. Why?  Well I'm putting it down to engagement.  As I said before, I believe that by engaging with the Likers that interact with your page you will reach more people.

So stop asking your likers to like your posts - they already do, that's why they can see your post in their feed - instead engage with them and see what happens.

About the Contributor: 
Christine is a Wife and a Mum of 3.  She is the owner of C Percy Designs and the Editor of The Contemporary Handmade Alliance.  She is also the co-editor of the Handmade Cooperative - Australian Handmade 4 Kids and is a little obsessed with all things crochet.

To find out more about Christine go to her blog - cpercydesigns.blogspot.com or follow her on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on the {CHA}